Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/design-it/ftp/centrum/index.php:2) in /home/design-it/ftp/centrum/wp-content/plugins/qtranslate/qtranslate_core.php on line 71

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/design-it/ftp/centrum/index.php:2) in /home/design-it/ftp/centrum/wp-content/plugins/wpfront-notification-bar/classes/class-wpfront-notification-bar.php on line 68
History of the Mills | International Youth Meetings Center

History of the Mills

Rychter Mills or Toruń Mills were being built from 1881 to 1940s. Until their closure in 1989, they were one of the biggest steam corn mills in Pomerania. They covered the area of 10 606 m2 and had the capacity of 44 828 m3.

The first mill in one of Toruń’s districts, Mokre, was built by Gustav Regitz in XIX. However, his company was on the verge of bankruptcy, so Gustav Gerson, another entrepreneur, decided to build a steam mill on some parts of the land. The mill was purchased from him and extended by a man from Warsaw – Leopold Richter. The location chosen for the investment had two crucial features: a small river, whose current was to fuel the mill wheel, as well as the siding of Toruń-Mokre railway station.

The construction of the first granaries and the mill began in 1890s, whereas the production started in 1887. The steam mill was built on the L-letter plan; it was attached to the boiler building (from the East side), and had its coal storage and stables located at the rear; a garden house, a farm building, and stables were erected from Kościuszki Street’s side. In 1990 a granary was built adjacent to the south wall of the mill, and in 1916, an extra granary was constructed in front of its West elevation. Both of them were designed by E. Hoffmann. In the interwar period alterations and modernizations of the complex were made which resulted in blurring the original design of Leopold Rychter’s Steam Mill. In 1941 fire consumed part of the building. At the time, the Germans added a new rye mill to the complex, whose shape was typical of Toruń’s Gothic architecture.

In 1967, the monument of the mill workers’ martyrdom was placed on the building’s wall (from Kościuszki Street’s side), which consists of 2 plaques and a mill-shaped candle. The monument is dedicated to the mill operators, murdered by the Nazis, who were suspected of participating in a sabotage prepared by the Polish Uprising Army in 1941.